A PhD position is available in the lab of Dr. Alexandra Lusser at the Medical University of Innsbruck, Austria. The laboratory studies gene regulatory mechanisms involving epigenetics and epitranscriptomics.
We are seeking highly motivated PhD students with interest in the following research areas:
- Understanding the biological and mechanistic implications of RNA cytosine modification
- Study of the functions of chromatin remodeler CHD1 in Drosophila health- and lifespan
- Study the posttranscriptional regulation of centromere-specific histone variant Cenp-A.
The successful candidate will have a background in molecular and/or cellular biology. Expertise in bioinformatics (analysis of NGS data) is a plus. We seek a highly motivated scientist with a strong interest in RNA and/or chromatin biology and the ability to work independently as well as in a team. The group is part of the Special Research Program RNA-DECO (https://www.rna-deco.org/).
The position is available immediately for 4 years.
The Medical University is located in Innsbruck in the heart of the alps. The city offers ample possibilities for outdoor activities, such as skiing, hiking or biking. Being home to two large universities, social life in the city is strongly shaped by students.
To apply: Please e-mail a CV, a letter of motivation and names and contact information for 2-3 references to: Dr. Alexandra Lusser, Email: email@example.com
The PhD position is available in the research group of Priv.-Doz. Dr. med. univ. Michaela Defrancesco, MD, MMSc, PhD at the Medical University Innsbruck, Division of Psychiatry I, memory clinic. The group studies clinical, biological, and imaging diagnostic and progression markers of neurodegenerative disorders – in particular Alzheimer´s disease. A comprehensive patient database called “GERDA – gerontopsychiatric database” with currently 1800 patient cases serves as a basis for numerous interdisciplinary research projects. Important research partners include the Neuroimaging Research Core Facility, the Psychiatric Laboratory of Experimental Alzheimer’s Research, and other research partners at the Medical University Innsbruck, and the Leopold Franzens University.
We are seeking a highly motivated PhD student with interest in the following research areas:
• Neurodegenerative disorders – in particular Alzheimer´s disease
• Clinical and neuropsychological diagnostic methods in the field of neurodegenerative disorders
• Automated methods for analyzing cerebral imaging
• Strong interest in clinical neuroscience, the development of research projects, and publication of scientific results
• An MD degree or a MSc degree in psychology
• A high level of both spoken and written English and German
• Strong interest in methods for analyzing cerebral imaging
• Advanced knowledge of statistical data analysis (e.g., with SPSS)
• Basic knowledge of neuropsychological and/or clinical research methods
• A 3-4 year PhD position in an established research group on neurodegenerative disorders
• The opportunity to learn advanced imaging analyzing methods
• Support in the preparation of own research proposals and publication of scientific data
• Facilitation of congress participation and scientific talks
• Active promotion of networking with national and international researchers in the field of neuroscience
To apply: Please e-mail a CV and a letter of motivation (English) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
PhD Programm Neuroscience at the Medical University Innsbruck (https://biomed-phd.i-med.ac.at/)
• The PhD Program in Neuroscience is designed as a course of study introducing students into basic, translational and clinical neuroscience. Research areas cover the entire range from molecular and cellular neuroscience over physiology, behavior and translational to clinical neuroscience. Students are exposed to recent theories about brain function and malfunction and up-to-date research strategies. They acquire the technical skills of planning, conducting and evaluating complex experiments and clinical studies. Participation in the program forms a cornerstone in the training of young researchers interested in pursuing a career in academic, clinical or biotechnological environments.
We offer 5 fully funded PhD positions in interconnected research projects (P1-P5)
and tandem supervision
“As a multidisciplinary team we are committed to comprehensively elucidate the oxidative damage-related pathology of membrane lipid abnormalities caused by long-chain fatty acid β-oxidation disorders or those associated with inflammatory bowel disease.”
Individual PhD projects:
PhD Project 1 [P1]: Advanced cell culture models for lipid metabolic diseases
PhD Project 2 [P2]: LC-MS/MS inverse problem data analysis approach
PhD Project 3 [P3]: Artificial neural network based imaging analysis
PhD Project 4 [P4]: Membrane lipid peroxidation in GPX4-deficiency
PhD Project 5 [P5]: Role of ether lipids and BH4 in ferroptosis